New Jersey man busted for gunning down Brooklyn ex-con

0 55

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A New Jersey man who gunned down an ex-con trying to turn his life around was arrested Wednesday, police said.

Andrae Robertson, 26, was charged with murder and gun possession in connection with the March 8 shooting of Jerold Tindal, 47.

Tindal was inside his apartment at Independence Towers, a NYCHA development on Taylor St. in Williamsburg, when he answered a knock at his door.

Robertson, police said, shot Tindal in the face then ran off.

Tindal was rushed to Woodhull Medical Center, where he clung to life until dying six days later.

It wasn’t clear why Robertson, who lives in Fairview, New Jersey, shot Tindal.

But Tindal’s neighbors and friends told the Daily News at the time that he was an example of someone who had learned from his past — three state prison terms — and seemed to be on the straight and narrow.

“He was a very nice guy, a very good man,” a man named Moshe said. “He’s one of the best neighbors here.”

Tindal, he added, had spoken of his past and had even shown him scars from past bullet wounds.

“He’s cleaning every day in the hallway, because the Housing [NYCHA] isn’t doing a good job. So he’s doing it every day — he’s washing, he’s cleaning.”

Tindal was charged in a 1989 golf club attack in Brooklyn in which the victim spent time in a coma before dying. Records show that in 2004 Tindal was conditionally released after serving eight years for an attempted murder conviction.

He had 10 arrests on his record, police said, and served additional state prison stints for assault and felony drug possession.

His best friend, who declined to give her name, said Tindal was a father of four who lived with his wife and two younger children. Tindal had turned his life around after his stint behind bars.

“I met him after he came home [from prison], And from what I heard, he came back different,” the friend said. [He would say], ‘I ain’t going back there, I’m going to do things right.’ He really tried to make the building safe because of his kids.

“He was the barbecue man — cookouts, bringing the community together, friends, family, always doing somebody’s birthday party, always surprising somebody on their birthday,” she added. “He was just a beautiful soul, very protective over his community. . . . “

Robertson was arraigned and ordered held without bail.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: