US congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez has condemned the migrant facility commissioned by Joe Biden’s administration.
While condemning the initiative via her Facebook page on Wednesday February 24, Ocasio-Cortez stated that it “is not okay”
“This is not okay, never has been okay, never will be okay – no matter the administration or party.
“Our immigration system is built on a carceral framework. It’s no accident that challenging how we approach both these issues are considered ‘controversial’ stances,” she wrote.
She added, “They require reimagining our relationship to each other and challenging common assumptions we take for granted.”
Biden, however, noted that dozens of migrant teens boarded vans on Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.
He said new immigration orders eliminate ‘bad policy’
President Biden on Feb. 2 signed three executive orders to reverse the Trump administration’s immigration policies.
“It’s unnecessary, it’s costly, and it goes absolutely against everything Biden promised he was going to do,” said Linda Brandmiller, a San Antonio-based immigration lawyer who represents unaccompanied minors.
“It’s a step backward, is what it is. It’s a huge step backward.”
During the campaign, Biden pledged to undo former president Donald Trump’s hard-line immigration policies. In his first month in office, Biden signed several executive orders reversing many of those policies.
“Last week, he and House Democrats introduced a plan that would provide a path to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants.
“The administration also reversed some of Trump’s expulsion practices by accepting unaccompanied children into the country, a change that also is contributing to an increase of minors in government facilities,” officials said.